Equity and Inclusion at the Oaks
By choosing to attend The Oaks School, our families are deliberately seeking to participate in a joyful, child-centric community. We invite our families to share their differing perspectives and to celebrate the unique nature of each family. We believe inclusive, multicultural practices are central to our curriculum and our community. By actively exploring the multiple identities we all hold, navigating the complexities of privilege and cultivating cultural fluency, we seek to foster a better understanding of each other. In emphasizing the importance of kindness and respect for all, we seek to produce compassionate young people who are educated to recognize and empowered to address social inequities in the world.
As a school, we are focused on expanding our multicultural skills and practices with an emphasis on four levels: individual growth, interpersonal communication, institutional policies, and cultural traditions. We aim to foster a community-wide appreciation and acceptance of the many aspects of difference including gender, gender expression, race, socioeconomics, family composition, learning differences, religion, political beliefs, physical abilities and other categories that we will continue to define for ourselves.
In order to achieve these ends, we provide ongoing multicultural training for faculty, staff, and parents to foster:
- Communication skills
- Shared multicultural language
- Awareness and appreciation of difference
- Knowledge of historic responses to injustice
- Tools to help students advocate for each other and themselves.
In addition, we continually create projects and inclusive events that:
- Connect our students and families to their personal and cultural heritage
- Provide safe opportunities for community members to speak honestly about their experiences of difference at our school
- Encourage multicultural exchanges and service opportunities between our students and others in a meaningful, reciprocal way
We promote socioeconomic diversity through our meaningful commitment to financial assistance for both current and entering families.